Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The worst ever!

Well after posting yesterday about Hannah's two month doctor's check up, she woke up in a screaming rage!! We first thought that she was hungry, she ate 2 ounces and then started screaming, so we both tried to console her. I knew it was from the shots but I didn't know what the heck do to. I mean she didn't have problems the last time she got shots, so I didn't think she would be so upset or hurt this time, it just never crossed my mind. I thought that I could rock her in my arms like normal and she would fall asleep or calm down, well that never happened. After the both of us trying everything we could think of to calm her down, we called the doctor. Well the doctor took 20 minutes to call us back because I guess it was an answering service and then they called the on call doctor? Well that doctor ended up telling us that oh yeah we should have given her tylenol before and after her shots, um that would have been a big help to know before hand!!!!!!!!!! No one ever told me about baby tylenol and that I should have some on hand... I mean what else should I have on hand because I don't know but I want to be prepared??
Well, I just never knew and never thought to give her tylenol, I don't know what the heck I was thinking honestly I was just trying to calm her and thinking she would stop. So Tom ran to the store (which did you know that most tylenol has been recalled) only to find generic children's tylenol. Well by the time that he got home she had cried herself to sleep. She literally cried for two hours straight, the worst cries I have ever heard. It was so heartbreaking to not know what to do or be able to console my little baby. It was scary and nerve wracking for the both of us as new parents. Luckily she slept the whole night and woke up to the sweet happy baby that she normally is, and never ended up getting any tylenol.
Now I know for future visits to the doctor's office for shots to give her some tylenol so she won't be in so much pain. I guess this is just the first of lessons to learn when raising children, a painful lesson for sure.

3 comments:

Jowers Inc. said...

Aww, I am so sorry you had to go through this, and Hannah for that matter. That is the absolute worst part about being a parent, that helpless felling when you know your child is in pain. As for Tylenol and it's generic, be careful. There have been hundreds of fatalities and serious liver injuries attributed to acetaminophen. We use Motrin, Ibuprofen,only, in our house (and Excedrin for the adults). In all honesty, I only give it, or take it myself, when they have a high fever, 101 or more for over 6 hours. This is not because I am weird and don't like over the counter drugs, it is because they are dangerous. Children are so small and the testing on these drugs is so limited. You will not know if they are allergic to it until they have ingested it and it might be too late. Just be cautious and look into any medication before you give it to her. Not trying to freak you out, just trying to prepare you.

Patricia said...

thanks Cheryl, thats good advise that I need!

Debbie said...

I don't think you have to worry about given her anything. You guys never had any allergic reactions to any drugs. And the doctor should of given you samples anyways. You should also have that stuff to indose vomiting. Your dr. gave us some when you were born. Never had to use it though. Just remember it's "all" a learning experience. No two kids are alike.