Wednesday, December 10, 2008

This was a cute idea

I found this cute idea while searching through some of my favorite sewing/quilting blogs the other day. Its a fabric garland, you know when you were a kid and you made one out of construction paper?
Well Basically you take fabric cut it into 3 by 9 inch rectangles, add interfacing, sew up the side, turn it inside out and then make loops and make a chain. Easy right? Well...not so much, after I sewed up the side the opening was only 1.5 inches and not very easy to turn inside out. So I got some fabric tape to turn the ends in and then just sewed the seams on the outside. Alot easier, but very time consuming.



So I only have like 20 loops made so far. I was going to use this as a garland for my tree, but that's obviously not going to happen. Maybe by New Years I will have this done.


On another note...Why is it that people make things seem so easy when they really aren't? Like in reading a bunch of blogs, I notice that people seem to whip up quilts like there is no tomorrow. Quilts aren't the easiest thing to make. They are very complex as a matter of fact. First you have to come up with an idea or have a pattern to follow, you have to cut all your fabric at the correct dimensions, and make sure that its straight!! You have to get all your seems straight while sewing and ensure that they stay the same quarter inch seam, then all of your seams have to be pressed, then you have to make sure that your top is straight and even and the same width and height, then you have to somehow get the batting and backing on completely flat and aligned, well then comes the quilting part (a whole other story) and then the binding.
Its just very complex and there are like 100 different steps to get to the finished project.
I just wish that some of these "quilters" would realize that some of us are newbies and aren't able to make a new quilt each week. While we appreciate all of their skills and abilities someone should recognize that there is a new generation of quilters out there who are just learning all the tricks of the trade and just gaining experience, one stitch at a time.

2 comments:

Diane said...

try sewing everything by hand like the did back in the real old days. quiltingis not easy any way you look at it

Debbie said...

That's a big opening to turn honey. You just have to know how to do it. I can turn even smaller, remember my mini bears. You really need to have you and Tom move here so I can show you how to do all these things. I will go to Michael's and get you some more ornaments.
mom